More Than Your Presence Is Required
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. It is not a new thing for people to come and sit pretentiously before God (Ezekiel 33:30-33).
1. These fakes even [somehow?] enjoy it (Isaiah 58:2).
2. However, a good show will not benefit anyone (Matthew 23:14).
B. God wants more than our bodily presence in a worship service (Deuteronomy 5:28-29).
1. If you are not surrendering your life to God there is NO point in vainly worshipping Him (Isaiah 1:10-18).
2. Were you delivered from sin to vainly worship God (Jeremiah 7:9-10)?
II. Body: What purpose does vain worship serve (Jeremiah 6:19-20)?
A. God does NOT accept worship from those who are sinning (Proverbs 15:8, Proverbs 15:29, Proverbs 28:9, and John 9:31).
1. Don’t dismiss Scriptures that talk of “sacrifices” as just an Old Testament principle (Hebrews 13:15-16).
2. Sin always stands in the way of God hearing us (I Peter 3:12).
B. Don’t allow your lips to say something different than your heart (Isaiah 29:13 and Isaiah 48:1-2).
1. God knows your heart (Psalms 44:21).
2. Dishonesty is not the solution (I Samuel 12:24, Luke 8:15, II Corinthians 8:21, and Hebrews 13:18).
3. If your heart is not properly aligned, fix it (Jeremiah 4:14 and James 4:8).
C. Showing up for God is not an event [i.e. Sunday worship services], it is a life (Luke 9:23-27).
1. Seek ye first SUNDAY worship? NO, (Matthew 6:33).
2. Love God with all of your SUNDAY morning? NO, (Mark 12:30).
3. Do we do those things that please Him only on SUNDAY? NO, (Colossians 1:10 and I Thessalonians 4:1).
4. Do we ask for authority only for what we do on SUNDAY? NO, (Luke 4:4, John 6:63, and Colossians 3:17).
5. Can your other responsibilities, towards brethren, be fulfilled by being an “assembly only” Christian (i.e. Romans 15:1-3, I Corinthians 12:14-27, Hebrews 3:12-14, I Peter 4:9, etc.)?
D. Why do people live as though a worship service is the most important aspect of being a Christian (John 5:28-29 and II Corinthians 5:9-10)?
1. If you compiled a list of New Testament Scriptures describing “worship services” and a list of other things God expects, what do you think would be the longer list (Ephesians 5:1-11 and Titus 2:11-14)? - NOT HARD TO ANSWER THAT ONE!
2. As we’ve already addressed, and can see in other Scriptures we haven’t looked at (i.e. I Corinthians 11:18-32), if your whole life is not right your worship cannot be either (Isaiah 59:1-3)!
III. Conclusion: Live as one who wholly belongs to the Lord (Romans 14:7-8).
© 2015 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager