Looking For Answers In The Wrong Places
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager (http://www.wordsoftruth.net)
A. An honest pursuit of the Lord and His truth will be successful (Deuteronomy 4:29, Proverbs 8:17, and Luke 11:9).
1. Yet, the pursuit of truth cannot be successful if the wrong sources are sought for information (Jeremiah 17:5-10 and I Corinthians 4:1-6).
a. Our own wisdom does not reveal truth (Proverbs 23:4).
b. Dreams and false visions are not sources of truth (Ecclesiastes 5:7).
c. Men and women, who arenŐt using Scriptures, are not the source of truth (Galatians 1:6-10).
2. Our approach has to be right (Jeremiah 29:13).
B. Those seeking answers must be willing to accept them when theyŐre found (I Thessalonians 2:13; cf. II Thessalonians 2:10).
1. Preconceived ideas blind us and must therefore be overcome for us to see the truth (II Kings 5:9-14).
2. Unwillingness to see truth prevents results (Matthew 13:15).
II. Body: There is the right place to look (Psalms 73:24-26, Psalms 89:6, and John 6:66-69).
A. Desperate people turn to the wrong sources for information (II Kings 1:1-4).
1. God has told us to never turn to false gods for answers (Deuteronomy 12:28-30, Ezekiel 14:2-8, and I Corinthians 10:14).
2. In the past, Prophets were sources of information (I Samuel 9:9 and Acts 11:27-30).
3. Now we look to GodŐs word for answers (Luke 4:4, Luke 11:28, John 6:63, Acts 20:32, II Timothy 3:15-17, and I Peter 1:23-25).
B. Some people donŐt want to hear the truth (II Kings 1:5-16).
1. Desperate people often despise truth tellers (Galatians 4:16) and look for people to tell them what they want to hear (I Kings 22:1-37).
2. Truth is not always fun to learn (Ecclesiastes 1:18 and Revelation 10:9-10).
3. Truth is the only door to salvation (John 8:32 and I Timothy 2:4).
C. Like it or not, what God says is true and will occur (II Kings 1:17).
1. God doesnŐt lie or change His character (I Samuel 15:29, Malachi 3:1-6, Titus 1:1-2, and Hebrews 13:8).
2. What He says happens (Isaiah 46:9-11 and Ezekiel 2:1-5).
III. Conclusion: John 5:39 and I John 5:11-13.
© 2011 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager