Living Up To Expectations
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
I. Introduction: We all know people that we EXPECT to be disappointments, which makes them undependable (cf. Proverbs 25:19).
A. Consider: Wise people are EXPECTED to make the right choices (Proverbs 3:35 and Ephesians 5:15-17).
1. Solomon was wise (I Kings 4:29-30).
2. Consider God’s reaction to Solomon’s failures (I Kings 11:6-13).
B. Consider: The disciples of Jesus saw many miracles of Jesus (Acts 2:22).
1. They knew Jesus could create much food from nothing (Matthew 14:15-21 and Matthew 15:32-38).
2. Consider Jesus’ reaction to their failing to understand what was expected to be understood (Matthew 16:1-12).
II. Body: We have expectations [the term “predestinate” does not mean we don’t have “freewill” (Acts 2:40)] to live up to (Romans 8:29, Ephesians 2:10, and Ephesians 5:8).
A. As a child of God, God expects some things from you (Ecclesiastes 12:13-14 and II John 4-6).
1. God expects the right mindset (Ephesians 4:23 and Philippians 2:3-8).
2. He expects untiring faithfulness (Galatians 6:9).
3. He expects us to be sober, righteous, godly, peculiar, etc. (Titus 2:11-14).
4. He expects us to be holy/clean (Ephesians 4:24 and I Peter 1:13-16).
5. God expects real conversion to have occurred in us when we obeyed the Gospel (Matthew 18:3; cf. Acts 3:19).
6. In short, God expects us to be like Him (Ephesians 5:1).
B. Consider how God feels about our not living up to His expectations…
1. Grief (Genesis 6:5-7 and Psalms 95:9-11).
2. Vexation [worry; pain; anger] of His Spirit (Isaiah 63:10).
3. Anger, amazement, and wrath (Psalms 7:11, Nahum 1:2, Mark 6:1-6, and Ephesians 5:1-6).
4. Hatred [disgust] (Psalms 5:4-5 and Hebrews 1:8-9).
5. Jesus wept (Luke 19:41-44; cf. Matthew 23:34-38).
C. Who’s expectations are you living up to (Ephesians 2:1-3)?
1. Have you set your own expectations (Proverbs 12:15)?
2. Are you trying to fit into some person’s expectations (Proverbs 29:26)?
3. Shouldn’t we be living up to God’s expectations (I Thessalonians 4:1)?
III. Conclusion: Think about the disappointments God expects from mankind (Luke 18:8). Let’s be the one’s to bring delight to Him (Proverbs 11:20).
© 2012 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager