Like Mike – WHAT?
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. Before I get into this lesson, I want to be clear that I am not teaching that sports are wrong (I Corinthians 9:24) or that being good at a sport is wrong (Ecclesiastes 9:10).
1. I enjoy sports and watching talented greats. – Though I or any other man is not the standard (I Corinthians 10:12).
2. Our caution has to be in not becoming worshippers of anyone/anything other than God (Luke 4:5-8, Acts 10:25-26, and Revelation 22:8-9).
B. A Gatorade commercial says: “Sometimes I dream, that he is me. Got to see that's how I dream to be. I dream I move. I dream I grove. Like Mike. If I could be like Mike. I wanna be like Mike…” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0AGiq9j_Ak). All this week ESPN has celebrated Michael Jordan’s 50th birthday.
1. The man is an idol, even amongst other athletes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwyane_Wade). Idolatry is wrong (Leviticus 19:4, I Corinthians 10:14, and I John 5:21).
2. We never want to think that we could be a man high enough to be exalted or that other men should be either (Psalms 144:4, Isaiah 2:10-22, Romans 12:3, and I Corinthians 4:1-6). *Not that that is the message of every commercial, athlete, etc.; but the end result is such very often.
II. Body: I Wanna Be Like Christ (I Peter 2:21-22 and I John 2:3-6).
A. MJ might be great at basketball, but many miss the greatness of Christ…
1. Loving (Romans 5:6-10).
2. Fierce (John 2:13-17).
3. Compassionate (Matthew 9:36-38).
4. An all-star (Matthew 15:29-31 and Luke 4:37), [though they were fans rather than followers (John 6:66)].
5. Jesus overcame more than the flu (Hebrews 12:1-3 and I Peter 3:18).
6. Jesus can fly more than Air Jordan (Acts 1:9-11).
B. ESPN called MJ “His Airness”. Who is higher than Christ (Colossians 1:12-20)?
1. People feared MJ. Is MJ to be feared more than Jesus (Revelation 1:12-17)?
2. People talk of MJ’s impact on “the game”, what about Jesus’ impact on life (I Timothy 1:15)?
3. Game changers? Who is a greater “game changer” than Jesus (I Corinthians 15:57 and I John 5:4)?
C. Why would you [a faithful Christian] trade down to be like a worldly man when you are greater already (II Corinthians 6:17-18 and Galatians 3:26)?
1. What could be greater than being a child of the Almighty with a reward ahead (I John 3:1-2)?
2. Dunking a basketball is nothing compared to eternal life (I John 5:11).
III. Conclusion: Michael Jordan loves basketball and everything connected with it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAEWdYwSdpU&list=PLF18032239E20BE9D&index=5), wherein if you want to be saved your first love has to be the Lord (Mark 12:30).
A. Jesus has skied into Heaven (Hebrews 4:14).
B. Who do you wanna be like (III John 11)?
© 2013 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager