Words Of Truth
"That I might make thee know the certainty of the words of truth..." (Proverbs 22:21).
Learning Without Application Is Useless
Outline by Brian A. Yeager
A. Would you...?
1. … Give pain medication to a dead person (Ecclesiastes 9:10)??
2. … Expect a field to bear fruit if not tended to (Proverbs 24:30-34)?
B. There is great importance in us learning (Matthew 11:28-30 and Luke 10:38-42).
1. We are expected to obtain knowledge, wisdom, and understanding (Proverbs 2:1-9).
2. Is just learning the truth enough (Ezekiel 33:30-33)?
II. Body: What About Applying What We Learn (James 1:18-27)?
A. Knowledge is important (Proverbs 19:2, Colossians 3:10, and II Peter 3:18), but...
1. Do you live according to what you have learned (Romans 2:1-3 and Romans 2:17-29)?
2. Can’t you ever learn and never get anywhere (II Timothy 3:1-7)?
3. What is it when you know good and don’t do it (James 4:17)?
4. We need to understand that there have always been those whom know the judgment of God, but choose not to obeyHim (Romans 1:18-32).
B. After learning, we have to properly do something with that knowledge (Matthew 7:21-27 and Romans 2:13).
1. After Jesus washed the disciples feet and taught them service and humility, what did He say (John 13:17)?
2. Hear, see, and what??? (Philippians 4:9)
C. Then there is the significance of continuation (John 8:30-32).
1. Starting off right isn’t enough (Matthew 13:20-22 and Galatians 5:7-9).
2. We have to hold on to the end (Hebrews 3:1-14).
D. Consider a few thoughts because knowledge can be dangerous (I Corinthians 8:1).
1. How many of us have known to defend the remembrance of the Lord’s death on the first day of the week (Acts 20:7), but failed to understand that we should tarry for one another (I Corinthians 11:23-33)?
2. How many of us knew there was one body/kingdom/church (Matthew 16:18, Ephesians 1:22-23, Ephesians 4:4, and Hebrews 12:22-28), but were part of erring groups that did things that the church isn’t authorized to such as “the social gospel” (Romans 14:17)?
3. How many of us exposed mechanical instrumental music as error (Ephesians 5:19), but sang songs we did not understand (I Corinthians 14:15) and even sang words that were false thus we taught error (Colossians 3:16 and Titus 2:1)?
4. How many of us would poke at “denominational churches” for teaching doctrines of men, while all along practicing erring “church of Christ” traditions (Colossians 2:6-8 and Colossians 2:18-23)?
5. Thus, knowing many of us have erred with having knowledge, how important is it for us all to be humble and make sure we are using our knowledge aright (I Corinthians 10:12 and II Timothy 2:15)?
III. Conclusion: Fear God AND Keep His Commandments (Ecclesiastes 12:8-14).
Class and Sermon Outline Index
© 2016 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager