June 2011 Questions / Answers
The following questions are taken from emails and are printed below exactly as I received them. Names and contact information has been removed. The answers are in note form (sorry for any of my grammar errors) to be studied through. You’ll have to examine each Scripture below to see the points.
1. “I am confused about how spiritual gifts were given. Did the Holy Ghost give spiritual gifts or did the Apostles give them?”
Š The Apostles laid their hands on an obedient believer (Acts 8:12-24).
Š After the laying on of the Apostle’s hands, the Holy Spirit gave the gifts (I Corinthians 12:3-11 and Hebrews 2:3-4).
2. “where is the scripture that says we should do to others as they do to us?”
Š There was a principle in the Old Testament that taught an “eye for an eye” (Exodus 21:22-25 and Leviticus 24:19-20). That law ended in Christ (Matthew 5:38-48).
Š In considering the New Testament, you are likely twisting around Matthew 7:12. That is not what that verse teaches though.
Š We should NOT repay others with evil if they do evil unto us (Proverbs 20:22, Proverbs 24:29, Matthew 5:44, and Romans 12:17-21).
3. “If the blood of Christ washes aways our sins why is it that we stress living a righteous life? If I sin, doesn’t the blood of Christ take care of it right away?”
Š The blood of Christ does not wash away any sins that are not confessed (I John 1:9) and repented of (Luke 13:3, Acts 8:22, Acts 17:30, and Revelation 3:19).
Š The death of our Lord does not give you a license to sin (Romans 6:1-2 and Galatians 2:17).
Š You are supposed to stop sinning (Galatians 5:24, Ephesians 4:21-22, II Timothy 2:19, and I Peter 4:1-2).
Š To have the blood of Christ take effect in your life, you have to remain in the light (I John 1:7).
4. “Was the baptism of John able to save after Jesus died?”
Š No, (Acts 19:1-7 and Galatians 3:27).
5. “Sir, do you believe that God hates gay people?”
Š Homosexuality is a sin (Leviticus 18:22, Leviticus 20:13, Deuteronomy 23:17, and I Corinthians 6:9-10).
Š Sodom is an example of this sin (Genesis 19:1-5 and Jude 7).
Š Thus God hates [abhors, despises] them, but not any more than other type of sinner (Psalms 5:4-6, Psalms 11:5-7, Proverbs 6:16-19, Proverbs 16:5, and Hebrews 1:8-9).
Š All sinners are children of the devil (I John 3:8-10).
Š Just like any other type of sinner, a homosexual can be converted and saved (Acts 2:37-41, Acts 3:19, and Acts 26:18-20).
6. “I am studying with a man that believes God chooses who is saved and who is lost. I cannot get him to see otherwise. Can you give me some Scriptures that prove our free moral agency?”
Š Any Scripture that shows one can obey or disobey prove that man chooses whether he’s lost or saved (cf. Acts 2:40).
Š Here are a few Scriptures that puts salvation in your hands: Deuteronomy 30:19-20, Joshua 24:14-16, Ecclesiastes 7:29, Mark 16:15-16, Luke 11:28, John 5:28-29, John 8:30-31, I Corinthians 1:21, Philippians 2:12, Colossians 1:21-23, and Hebrews 10:36-38.
7. “If a person is divorced not because they were cheated on, what should that person do to make the situation right?”
Š “And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband: But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband: and let not the husband put away his wife” (I Corinthians 7:10-11).
8. “DEAR BROTHER – WAS SATAN VICTIORIOUS AT THE CROSS?”
Š No: “But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ… For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith” (I Corinthians 15:57 and I John 5:4).
Š The will of God was accomplished by the death of Christ (Luke 22:37, Luke 24:44-47, John 10:18, and Acts 2:22-24).
Š By the death of Christ salvation came into the world, which is a victory for the Lord (Romans 5:10).
9. “What prophet of God was not allowed to take time to grieve over the death of his wife? Also, was it Hosea or Jeremiah that was told not to pray for the people?”
Š Ezekiel was not to mourn the death of his wife (Ezekiel 24:15-27).
Š Jeremiah was told not to pray for the people (Jeremiah 7:8-16, Jeremiah 11:11-14, and Jeremiah 14:10-12).
10. “I know that we shouldn’t love money or make material things the goals of our lives. Is it wrong though to enjoy the blessings we do have?”
Š No, it is not wrong to enjoy the earthly blessings we have (Ecclesiastes 2:24, Ecclesiastes 5:18-19, Ecclesiastes 9:7-10, and I Timothy 6:17).
11. “Brian, you mentioned that the word translated church can mean even a mob. What verse does that appear in?”
Š If you look at Acts 19:32; 39; 41 the Greek word translates as “assembly” (KJV) is “ekklesia” (Strong’s #1577). Contextually, this assembly was a mob out to destroy Paul (Acts 19:21-41).
Š This is the same Greek word as in translated as “church” in such verses as Matthew 16:18, Acts 2:47, Acts 14:27, Acts 20:28, Romans 16:16, Ephesians 5:25, etc. (most, if not all of the times you see the word “church” this is the Greek word).
Š The point is, that Greek word can be used to describe any assembly.
© 2011 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager