Studies In The Book Of John
John 5:16 – “And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus, and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day.”
A. Jesus was really persecuted because He wasn’t “one of them” (John 15:18-21).
1. The wicked plot against the just (Psalms 37:12).
2. Jesus had such a polarizing [divisive] (John 7:40-44 and Luke 12:51) presence that He literally drove the erring to madness (Luke 6:6-11) and wrath (Luke 4:16-30).
3. The disciples continued in the same manner of being hated for the sake of the truth (John 17:14 and Acts 5:28-33).
4. We should expect to be treated as poorly as our Savior was (Matthew 5:10-12, Acts 14:22, and II Timothy 3:12).
B. Were the Jews defending the Law of the Sabbath or were they just out to “get Jesus” (Luke 19:47-48)?
1. Some just hate the righteous (Psalms 34:21, Proverbs 29:27, John 7:7, Acts 7:51-54, Galatians 4:16, and I Thessalonians 2:15-16).
2. Some persecute the righteous and think they’re doing the right thing (John 16:1-3 and Acts 26:9-19; cf. I Timothy 1:12-15).
John 5:17 – “But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.”
A. Jesus is focused on His Father’s will (John 6:38).
1. Jesus is an example of obedience (Hebrews 5:8-9).
2. Jesus had a plan to follow (Matthew 3:13-17 and Acts 3:18).
B. Jesus was working (John 9:4).
1. Jesus was focused on using His time aright (John 7:8 and John 12:35; cf. Ephesians 5:15-17).
2. We too should be busy working (I Corinthians 15:58 and Titus 3:8).
John 5:18 – “Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.”
A. Jesus is God (Matthew 1:23, John 1:1-5, John 20:26-29, Acts 20:28, Romans 9:1-5, I Timothy 3:16, Titus 2:13, Hebrews 1:8-9, and I John 5:20).
1. Again, they have another EXCUSE for their desire to murder Jesus (John 8:37).
2. Truth is, they hated the heir to the throne (Matthew 21:33-45).
B. The Jews understood that Jesus was saying He was deity (John 10:30-33).
1. What they missed was that while Jesus is deity He was acting as a servant to save them (Philippians 2:4-11).
2. Many today cannot see what Jesus was saying and they shall eternally be lost because of that (John 8:23-24).
© 2010 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. Getting financially supported to do the Lord’s work while allowing others to do it for you is simply theft! – Brian A. Yeager