Studies In The Book Of John
John 15:1-2 “(1) I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. (2) Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.”
A. Jesus is the “true vine” in that we come forth and are rooted in Him (Colossians 2:6-13).
1. A husbandman [farmer] plants the vineyard (Genesis 9:20).
2. A husbandman waits for the fruit to come forth (James 5:7).
3. The “true vine” was planted by the Father (John 8:29 and John 8:42) and then produced branches (John 20:21).
B. The true vine does not bring forth fruit to himself (John 5:30; cf. Hosea 10:1-2).
1. We are the branches expected to bring forth fruit (Matthew 5:16, Colossians 1:10, Titus 2:13-14, and James 2:14-26).
2. We, through Christ (Philippians 4:13), bring forth fruit to the Father (Romans 7:4).
3. If we do not bear fruit we’re taken away (Isaiah 5:1-7, Matthew 7:17-19, and Luke 3:8-9).
4. The branch is good only when fruit is produced (Luke 13:6-9; cf. Matthew 21:17-20).
John 15:3 “Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.”
A. The disciples were clean, but not every one of them (John 13:10-11).
1. The word of God is the purifier (John 17:17 and Ephesians 5:25-26).
2. The word of God purifies when obedience occurs (I Peter 1:21-25).
3. Obeying the word of God means complete obedience to His word (James 2:10-12).
B. When one becomes clean through obedience to the word of God, that does not mean they cannot become unclean (Galatians 3:1 and Galatians 5:7).
1. Apostasy is possible (Luke 8:13, I Corinthians 10:12, Galatians 5:4, I Timothy 4:1, Hebrews 10:26-31, II Peter 2:20-22, and Revelation 2:1-5).
2. The only way to remain clean is to live the word of God flawlessly (Matthew 5:48, II Corinthians 7:1, II Corinthians 13:9, II Corinthians 13:11, Ephesians 1:4, Colossians 4:12, II Timothy 3:16-17, I Peter 1:13-16, and II Peter 3:10-14).
3. We are expected to be just as pure as our Lord (I John 3:1-3).
4. To be clear, we [faithful Christians] cannot be clean by ourselves (Revelation 1:5).
a. That being said, grace is not a license to sin. We are commanded NOT TO SIN (Romans 6:1-2, I Corinthians 15:34, Ephesians 4:26, and I John 2:1).
b. If a disciple of the Lord becomes unclean, he or she must confess that sin (Proverbs 28:13 and I John 1:9) and repent of that sin to be forgiven of that sin (Acts 8:13-24; cf. Acts 5:31).
John 15:4-7 “(4) Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. (5) I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. (6) If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. (7) If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.”
A. Disciples of the Lord are in Him (Romans 12:4-5, II Corinthians 5:17, Galatians 3:27-28, Ephesians 2:13, and II Timothy 3:12).
1. We don’t bear fruit of ourselves (Ephesians 2:1-10 and Philippians 1:11; cf. I Peter 4:11).
2. We cannot do anything without Christ. In fact, without Christ, we cannot even have a relationship with the husbandman (Colossians 3:17, I Timothy 2:5, and Hebrews 7:24-25).
B. Our relationship with Christ begins and ends with His word (II John 9).
1. The words of our Lord keep us pointed in the right direction (Psalms 119:11).
2. Therefore, we should mediate upon the truth (Psalms 1:1-2, Psalms 119:15, and Psalms 119:97-99) and let the truth abide in us (Colossians 3:16).
© 2012 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. Getting financially supported to do the Lord’s work while allowing others to do it for you is simply theft! – Brian A. Yeager