Here We Have No Continuing City
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. The Christian life is difficult at times (John 15:18-21).
1. Not just persecution, but the cost of discipleship is heavy (Luke 14:33 and Philippians 3:4-15).
2. Sometimes it begs asking what its all worth (Luke 18:28-30).
B. JesusÕ points our minds not to focus on how tough it is (John 16:33).
1. Overcoming is the focus (I John 5:4).
2. Being more than conquerors (Romans 8:35-39).
II. Body: Hebrews 13:12-15
A. Here things are temporary (II Peter 3:9-12).
1. There are multiple reasons not to love things of this world (I John 2:15-17).
2. This life is really temporary (James 4:13-16).
3. Whatever you build here, of the world, isnÕt lasting (Psalms 49:16-20 and I Timothy 6:6-10).
B. Understanding things on earth perish, we SEEK something eternal (Romans 2:6-7).
1. Work for an enduring reward (Galatians 6:9; cf. James 5:7-8).
2. Knowing our labor for things eternal is not vain (I Corinthians 15:58 and Hebrews 6:9-12).
3. The more you store up the more your heart is in it (Matthew 6:19-21).
4. It is foolish to think otherwise (Luke 12:13-21).
C. We want that continuing city (Hebrews 11:8-16).
1. Our focus has to be otherworldly (II Corinthians 4:8-5:1).
2. In comparison, whatever we face is not comparable to what weÕll gain (Romans 8:17-18 and I Peter 4:12-14).
III. Conclusion: Our citizenship is otherworldly (Philippians 3:20-21).
© 2015 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager