“He Must Increase, But I Must Decrease”
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. Some people struggle with wanting to be glorified (Matthew 6:1-8).
1. This is not good (Proverbs 25:27).
2. Our mindsets should not be set on getting glory from others (Philippians 2:3-7 and I Thessalonians 2:4-6).
3. Yet, most are only concerned about “getting mine” (Philippians 2:21).
B. We were created to be glory givers (Revelation 4:8-11).
1. Glory is due to God (I Chronicles 16:28-29).
2. He doesn’t want His glory given to another (Isaiah 42:8).
3. Even when we do good and great things, the glory must be given to God (Matthew 5:14-16 and Acts 14:6-18).
II. Body: Consider How John Taught These Things (John 3:25-36).
A. Even in doing the right things we’re not “anything” (I Corinthians 3:1-7).
1. Doing all we can do is just doing what we should do (Luke 17:7-10).
2. Remembering some things keeps us in this realm of reality (i.e. John 15:1-5, I Corinthians 15:9-10, Ephesians 1:19-2:17, and Philippians 3:8-9).
B. Having a humble mindset (Acts 20:19 and Galatians 5:26).
1. The Lord respects the lowly (Psalms 138:6).
2. The Lord gives grace to the lowly (Proverbs 3:34).
3. Walk humbly with God (Micah 6:8).
4. A converted humility likened to an innocent child (Matthew 18:1-4).
5. Realizing greatness is in service (Matthew 20:20-28).
6. Humility is something we have to put on (Colossians 3:12).
7. Knowing that recognition and glory through what man thinks is great is really foolish in the eyes of God (I Corinthians 1:18-31 and I Corinthians 3:18-23).
C. Realizing the recognition for what we do is not due us here and now (Psalms 73:24 and Romans 2:4-10).
1. Consider what the Lord says to elders in the church (I Peter 5:1-4).
2. We are striving for eternal glory; not earthly, temporary glory (II Corinthians 4:16-18, II Thessalonians 2:10-16, and II Timothy 2:10).
3. Therefore, have the humility now to be exalted then (Proverbs 15:33, Matthew 23:11-12, and James 4:6-10).
III. Conclusion: It all comes back to knowing our place (John 13:16).
© 2015 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager