Examining Hebrews 4:12
A. Text: Hebrews 4:12 “For the
word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword,
piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints
and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”
1. The word of God fully furnishes
us with all we need to know (II Peter 1:3).
B. Anytime in which we focus a lesson on the
word of God we must acknowledge the importance of strict adherence to that
2. The word of God is God’s final revelation
to man (Matthew 24:35, Galatians 1:8-9, and Jude 3).
3. Inspired (II Timothy 3:16-17).
4. Able to save souls (James 1:21).
5. The word of God will be what we are judged
by (John 12:48).
1. We cannot offend at one point
2. We must follow exactly what the Lord
says (Luke 6:46 and Colossians 3:17).
3. There are eternal consequences to the
one who would change the word of the Lord (Revelation 22:18-19).
I. The Word of God is
Quick and Powerful
A. Quick [living]; the Bible is
not a dead letter. It is very much alive and able to bring life.
II. The Word of God is Sharper
than Any Two-edged Sword
1. The word is life and brings life
B. Powerful [active]:
2. The word of God lives and abides forever
(I Peter 1:23-25).
1. The word of God is the power
of God unto salvation (Romans 1:16).
a. The word of God is a seed that
brings forth fruit (Luke 8:4-15).
2. The word of God is working so much that the
devil tries to keep if from being spread (II Corinthians 4:4-5).
b. It continues to bring forth fruit (Colossians
3. The word of God is more powerful than
one coming from the dead (Luke 16:24-31).
4. The word of God is so powerful it chased
off the devil (Matthew 4:1-11).
5. The word of God is so active that brings
faith (Romans 10:17).
6. The word of God can build us up and give
us an inheritance (Acts 20:32).
A. The word of God is a sword (Ephesians
III. The Word of God Reveals
Our Thoughts and Intentions
1. To display the sharpness of the
sword the Hebrew writer says in our text: “…piercing even to the dividing
asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow [tissue inside
B. The word of God must cut to the heart, thus
is must be sharp:
2. Isaiah said (Isaiah 49:2).
1. Romans 10:10
2. Acts 2:37
3. Any sharp blade can cut open a man to
show his physical heart, but only the word of God can reveal the thoughts
and intentions that are hidden in the heart.
A. God already knows our thoughts
and intentions without the involvement of the word (Hebrews 4:13 and Psalms
B. We use the word of God and examine ourselves
to reveal our thoughts and intentions (II Corinthians 13:5 and James 1:23-25).
C. Our reaction, or lack thereof, to the
word of God reveals our thoughts and intentions to those around us:
1. When one hears the word of God
they have a choice to obey or reject it (James 1:22).
a. When one rejects the word of
God; their thoughts of worldliness and disobedience are revealed (I John
2. The wise obey and follow the Lord while the
unwise reject the word of God (Luke 6:46-49).
b. When one rejects the word of God they
reveal who they follow:
i. There is light [righteousness]
and darkness [sin], but nothing in the middle by which to say you stand
ii. You are either with or against the Lord
3. Obeying the word of God means that one
must take action. Faith is shown through works (James 2:14-26).
a. One who reacts with action shows
a heart of obedience (Matthew 4:16-22).
b. One’s lack of action shows they are unfit
for the Kingdom (Luke 9:57-62).
c. The thoughts and intents of the recipients
of Stephen’s message was first clear to themselves (Acts 7:54a.), and then
to all because of their action (Acts 7:54b.; 57-60).
A. Have you submitted to the will
of the Lord (Matthew 7:21)?
by Brian A. Yeager may be reproduced for non-commercial purposes at no
cost to others.
B. Will you continue to follow the word
of the Lord (John 14:15)?
C. When you look into the word of God do
you find you need to make changes (James 1:21-25)?
D. What will your reaction to the word of
God today reveal about your thoughts and intentions?
E-Mail Brian By Clicking