The heart of man (not the organ) is the place in which the word of God works Luke 8:4-15. The word of God works and reveals the intents of the heart. Hebrews 4:12-13 "12. For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13. Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do."
I. What is a hardened heart?
15. For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them. 16. But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear."
b. Matthew 15:18-19"18. But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. 19. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies."
4. Forgiveness is from the heart Matthew 18:35 "So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses."
5. It is with our hearts that we reason Mark 2:6 "But there were certain of the scribes sitting there, and reasoning in their hearts."
6. It is with the heart that man purposes II Corinthians 9:7 "Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver."
7. It is with the heart we can condemn ourselves I John 3:21 "Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God."
8. It is with the heart that man desires Psalms 10:3 "For the wicked boasteth of his heart's desire, and blesseth the covetous, whom the Lord abhorreth."
9. It is with the heart that man sorrows Psalms 13:2 "How long shall I take counsel in my soul, having sorrow in my heart daily? how long shall mine enemy be exalted over me?"
C. All of our heart should be given to God Mark 12:28-30 "28. And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all? 29. And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: 30. And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment."
D. Where our treasures are there is our hearts Matthew 6:19-21 "19. Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: 20. But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
21. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."
E. The actions of man and his heart can differ Psalms 55:21 "The words of his mouth were smoother than butter, but war was in his heart: his words were softer than oil, yet were they drawn swords."
(Note: This is not the same place in which Moses sinned and caused himself not to enter the promise land when he was told to speak (not strike) to the rock Numbers 20:1-13).
B. It can make the heart burn Jeremiah 20:9 "Then I said, I will not make mention of him, nor speak any more in his name. But his word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay."
C. It brings joy to the heart Jeremiah 15:16 "Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O Lord God of hosts."
D. It can produce fruit in our hearts if our hearts are good and honest Luke 8:15 "But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience."
We should want to be as the Psalmist Psalms 51:9-10 "9. Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. 10. Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me."
The only way to be clean is to be washed in the blood Revelation 1:5 which occurs in baptism Acts 22:16.
Copyright 2001 by Brian Yeager may be reproducted for non-commercial purposes at no cost to others.