Words Of Truth
"That I might make thee know the certainty of the words of truth..." (Proverbs 22:21).
God Is Not So Mysterious (Part 4)
(Understanding Miracles, Prayer, Providence, etc.)
Outline by Brian A. Yeager
A. Miracles happened throughout the entirety of the Scriptures (Deuteronomy 11:1-3 and Acts 2:22).
1. Such occurred directly from Heaven (Matthew 17:1-5).
2. Such also occurred through men and women (Acts 9:36-43 and Acts 21:8-9).
3. Such occurred through angels (II Kings 19:31-35).
4. Even animals were used to perform miracles (Numbers 22:22-33).
B. Man has asked for and have received wonders (Joshua 10:12-14).
1. Understand though, God’s working of miracles had a purpose (II Kings 20:8-11, John 3:2, and Hebrews 2:3-4).
2. Thus, when miracles were asked for and did not fit that purpose, the Lord didn’t grant that miracle (II Corinthians 12:1-10).
3. Now, since the word is fully revealed, there are no more miraculous events being granted amongst men today. Consider the proof...
II. Body: Miraculous Spiritual Gifts (Ephesians 4:8-13) Were Temporary...
A. Understand how this worked for Christians (Acts 19:1-7).
1. In the New Testament, which we’re under today, there is a clear pattern of how the Holy Spirit was given (Acts 8:1-25 and Acts 19:1-7). There are not Apostles today for this to occur...
a. An Apostle had to see the resurrected Christ (Acts 1:15-26).
b. Paul was the last the last of all (I Corinthians 15:1-11).
2. The only exceptions were the Apostles (Acts 1:8; 2:1-4) and the first Gentile converts (Acts 10:44-11:18).
3. Those two exceptions were through Holy Spirit baptism (Acts 1:5), which has ceased (Ephesians 4:4-6), seeing as how it was not the baptism that saved (I Peter 3:20-21).
4. When they had the Holy Spirit giving them gifts, it was not a feeling or some inactive thing. They Spirit gave them abilities (Romans 15:19), knowledge (I John 2:27), etc. that was CLEARY seen (Acts 5:14-16).
B. Understand what those gifts were and the promise of the cessation of those things (I Corinthians 12:1-13:13).
1. “That which is perfect” (James 1:25)...
2. ...Is now delivered (Jude 1:3).
D. The written word of God, not miracles, is what God designed to last (Matthew 24:35 and I Peter 1:22-25).
1. Miracles were not sufficient in convincing unbelievers (Matthew 11:20-24 and John 12:36-43).
2. Miracles confirmed the message, but was not the message (Mark 16:15-20).
3. It was and is the Gospel that is the power of God to salvation (Romans 1:16).
4. It was and is the word of God that is able to build us up and give us an inheritance (Acts 20:32).
III. Conclusion: Miracles very much tied to prayer (Acts 28:8), which will be our next lesson.
Class and Sermon Outline Index
© 2016 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager