Words Of Truth
"That I might make thee know the certainty of the words of truth..." (Proverbs 22:21).
God Is Not So Mysterious (Part 3)
(Understanding Miracles, Prayer, Providence, etc.)
Outline by Brian A. Yeager
A. When people want to believe something false they often twist Scriptures to get there (II Peter 3:14-18).
1. So, find a verse and conclude what you want? Where does that lead (Matthew 22:23-33)?
2. We cannot seek to justify our own thinking (Romans 10:1-3).
B. People who want to believe in a false sense of providence today often speak of men such as Joseph and Moses as evidence that God directs situations for His people and they apply that to today (https://modbury-church-of-christ.squarespace.com/blog/2013/9/16/the-providence-of-god).
1. These people use accounts like Joseph to teach that God is controlling everything, which is FALSE (Deuteronomy 30:15-20, Ecclesiastes 9:11, and Acts 2:40-41).
2. Some say, “It was not by chance that Pharaoh’s daughter found the baby Moses” (link cited above). What Scripture says that (Exodus 2:1-10)?
II. Body: Let’s Consider Joseph And Moses (Acts 7:9-45).
A. Nothing today, in how God works amongst His people, is likened to the days of Joseph (i.e. Genesis 37:1-11).
1. What God did with Joseph is a work He worked amongst prophets (Numbers 12:6).
2. He foretold of what was to come (Genesis 42:6 and Genesis 50:24-25).
3. Would YOU dare compare God’s work with Joseph to events in anyone’s lives today (Genesis 50:15-21; cf. Exodus 13:19)?
B. Does God deal with us today as He did with Moses (Deuteronomy 34:10 and Psalms 105:25-26)?
1. If so, when have you talked with the Lord and received a commission to go set people free (Exodus 3:1-10)?
2. If so, when will you or I be giving a law (Deuteronomy 33:4)?
3. If so, when will you or I do wonders before men (Exodus 11:10)?
C. How and why God worked certain ways in the Old Testament is a thing of the past (Luke 24:44 and Hebrews 1:1-2).
1. The works and words spoken then by those such as Joseph and Moses were things MOVED by the Holy Spirit (II Peter 1:20-21).
2. No one alive today is receiving the Holy Spirit, which we will cover next week.
3. For those who would claim that God works as He did with Joseph and Moses still today, PROVE IT (Exodus 19:9, John 2:23, and John 10:37-38)!
4. When you realize you cannot prove it, don’t hold to it (I Thessalonians 5:21).
III. Conclusion: It is ignorant to say God works today like He did with Joseph and Moses. Remember, during these O.T. events, God didn’t HIDE His “providence” (Daniel 6:26-27).
Class and Sermon Outline Index
© 2016 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager