February 2012 Questions / Answers
The following questions are taken from emails and are printed below exactly as I received them. Names and contact information has been removed. The answers are in note form (sorry for any of my grammar errors) to be studied through. You’ll have to examine each Scripture below to see the points.
Š Exodus 20:6, Deuteronomy 5:10, Deuteronomy 11:1, Deuteronomy 11:13, Deuteronomy 11:22, Deuteronomy 19:9, Deuteronomy 30:16, Joshua 22:5, John 14:15-24, John 14:31, John 15:10-14, I John 5:2-3, and II John 6.
2. “I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT THE WITCH WAS ABLE TO BRING SAMUEL BACK TO TALK WITH SAUL. 1 SAM. 28:14 SAYS THAT SAUL ASSUMED IT WAS SAMUEL. NO ONE IN THE CONDITION OF DEATH CAN SPEAK FROM THE GRAVE ACCORDING TO LUKE 16:25-31. WHEN SOMEONE ENTERS DEATH THEY WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO BE SEEN OR HEARD FROM AGAIN IN OUR WORLD. ON YOUR PAGE ON THE INTERNET YOU HAVE SAID THAT IT WAS SAMUEL. IT WAS FALLEN ANGELS WHO ACTED LIKE THEY WAS SAMUEL. WHY DO YOU WRITE THIS FALSE MATERIAL?”
Š For one, if you read I Samuel 28:7-20, the Bible affirms it was Samuel.
Š Secondly, nothing in the text says it was a fallen angel that appeared.
Š Thirdly, you have falsely concluded that once someone dies they will never be seen in our world again (Mark 9:2-4, John 11:39-45, and I Corinthians 15:3-8).
Š Fourthly, in a sense or two, someone has/can speak from the grave (Luke 16:19-31 and Hebrews 11:4).
Š I am guessing you are talking about the study in the Old Testament on my website wherein I only said what the verses say (http://www.wordsoftruth.net/oldtestamentstudies45answers.htm).
3. “In every kingdom there is a king and a queen. Who is the queen of heaven? God has a son which would mean he has a wife too.”
Š Stop thinking about the kingdom of God in worldly terms (John 18:36).
Š The kingdom is a heavenly kingdom (II Timothy 4:18).
Š God is a spirit, not an earthly man (John 4:23-24).
Š I know for sure that there is no female presence in Heaven at this time (I John 5:7).
o God the Father is masculine (Genesis 1:27, Deuteronomy 7:9, etc.).
o God the Son is masculine (Matthew 1:25, Matthew 19:1, etc.).
o God the Holy Spirit is masculine (John 15:26, John 16:13, etc.).
4. “I have questions about heaven but really one question will decide whether I want to ask the other ones. Will my husband and I be with our children as a family if we are all in heaven?”
Š The earthly relationship of marriage is not in Heaven (Mark 12:18-27 and Luke 20:35-36).
Š We will no longer be carnal creatures and will not have the earthly needs in Heaven that we do on earth (I Corinthians 15:45-54).
5. “Why doesn't prayer work when Jesus promised it would (for example, John 14:14)?”
Š Reason one, a person has no right to pray (I John 3:22, Proverbs 15:29, Proverbs 28:9, Isaiah 59:1-3, John 9:31, and I Timothy 2:8).
Š And/or, reason two, you’ve asked for the wrong things (James 4:3 and I John 5:14-15).
Š Consider this study: http://www.wordsoftruth.net/PDFGivinganAnswerTheThingsWePrayForAnswers.pdf
6. “Who is the leader of the Church of Christ? Are your ‘Restoration Leaders’ looked at as individuals of power?”
Š Jesus is the leader of the church of Christ (Ephesians 1:20-22, Ephesians 5:23, and Colossians 1:12-18).
Š Real churches of Christ have no “Restoration Leaders” as the church never fell away (Hebrews 12:22-23; 28; cf. Romans 11:1-5).
Š The church of Christ began with Christ (Matthew 16:18, Acts 20:28, Ephesians 5:25, and Romans 16:16).
7. “Should Christians take medication or see doctors?”
Š Yes, medication and physicians are of God (Genesis 50:2, Isaiah 1:6, Jeremiah 8:22, Ezekiel 47:12, and Colossians 4:14; cf. I Corinthians 6:20) though they may not work (Luke 8:43).
Š While Jesus was making a spiritual point, He inferred the authority for doctors (Mark 2:17).
8. “Who did it and when did the changes of the Sabbath Day go from Saturday to Sunday?”
Š No one, ever. The Sabbath has always had reference to the seventh day of the week (Exodus 16:26 and Deuteronomy 5:14).
Š Maybe you are confused. It is the doctrine of Christ that has Christians worshipping on the first day of the week (Acts 20:7-11 and I Corinthians 16:1-2).
Š However, that does not make the first day of the week the new Sabbath Day. Christians do not observe the Sabbath Day because it was a law for Israel (Exodus 31:13, Leviticus 25:2, and Nehemiah 10:33), but has not been instructed for us to observe (cf. Matthew 28:20).
9. “Who was it in the Bible that was taken by God but did not die?”
Š Enoch (Genesis 5:24 and Hebrews 11:5).
Š Elijah (II Kings 2:1-11).
10. “I know that Romans 14 does not allow for us to disagree when someone teaches something false and still have unity. What I am wondering is how do we know when it is okay to disagree but still have unity?”
Š Romans 14:1-23 shows us that we can maintain unity while differing on maters of authorized liberties. What that means is, God has authorized us to eat all meats (I Timothy 4:4-5). However, you do not HAVE to eat all meats to be saved (I Corinthians 8:8).
Š You err when you teach against something God has authorized (I Timothy 4:1-3).
Š You err when you teach for something God has not authorized (Proverbs 30:5-6, Matthew 15:1-4, and Galatians 1:6-12).
Š Even in matters of authorized liberties, we have to agree [be of the same mind] on what is and what is not authorized (I Corinthians 1:10, Philippians 2:2, Philippians 3:16, II John 9, etc.).
Š Thus, any disagreement is wrong (John 17:20-23, I Corinthians 4:17, and II Thessalonians 3:6).
11. “Did the Jews try to cover up the resurrection of Jesus? Please cite the resource that gives us that information.”
Š Yes, (Matthew 28:11-15).
© 2012 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager