Do You Need Leverage In Evangelism?
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. Like God (I Timothy 2:3-4), we want people to be saved (Romans 9:1-3).
1. It is hard to see someone lost (Psalms 119:53, Psalms 119:136, Psalms 119:158, and Lamentations 2:11).
2. Even knowing that few will be saved (Matthew 7:13-14), it was still hard for Jesus to see people lost (Luke 19:41-42).
B. I was recently told: “Today's generation is so intellectual, sharing scientific info captures attention, which more readily creates opportunities to introduce Jesus Christ" (Leon White; March 7, 2013; email).
1. For one, rather than encouraging man to use worldly wisdom, we should be discouraging it (Proverbs 3:5-7, I Corinthians 3:18-23, and Colossians 2:8).
2. Secondly, rather than allowing man to think we are so “intellectual” we should be teaching the reality of intelligence (Job 5:8-9, Isaiah 55:6-9, and Psalms 92:5).
II. Body: The All-Sufficiency Of The Word Of God (II Timothy 3:15-17).
A. The word of God WILL convert (Psalms 19:7, Romans 1:16, and James 1:21-25).
1. The word of God is very powerful (Jeremiah 23:29 and Hebrews 4:12).
2. The word of God brings life (John 6:63).
3. Even when it comes to the youth, the word is capable (Psalms 119:9).
4. God’s spoken word made something out of nothing (Hebrews 11:3), why would we question its power to convert (Colossians 1:5-6)?
B. The only other method of teaching, approved by God, is teaching by godly example (Proverbs 4:18, Matthew 5:14-16, and Philippians 2:14-16).
1. We need to be good examples (I Thessalonians 1:5-6, I Thessalonians 2:10, II Thessalonians 3:7-9, I Timothy 4:12, and Titus 2:7-8).
2. A godly spouse can convert their mate through conduct (I Peter 3:1-4).
3. A godly parent can be a good example to a child (II Timothy 1:5).
4. Remember, more than in word, a person is known by what he or she does and the results thereof (Matthew 7:20).
C. The mindset of using tactics in teaching is WRONG (II Corinthians 4:1-2).
1. Just teaching (Psalms 51:13 and Acts 5:42).
2. In fact, being clear in teaching (II Corinthians 3:12).
3. Not even any showmanship (I Corinthians 2:1-5).
III. Conclusion: The word of God WORKS (I Thessalonians 2:13).
© 2013 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager