DonŐt Measure Yourself By The Standards Of Men
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. It is not uncommon for people to seek approval from others (John 12:42-43).
1. Some people do things just for others to see (Matthew 6:5-7 and Matthew 23:5-12).
2. We should not seek the praise of men (Romans 2:28-29).
B. Since people often look in the wrong places for spiritual measurement, they often get false confidence (Hosea 10:13).
1. False hope that comes from trusting in men does not turn out for good (Isaiah 30:1-7 and Isaiah 36:6).
2. Plainly put, have not confidence in the flesh (Jeremiah 17:5 and Philippians 3:3).
II. Body: Let It Be GodŐs Standard That Judges You (II Corinthians 10:12; 10:17-18).
A. We cannot trust the opinion of others to say that we are good or bad (Luke 16:15).
1. God does not value even the best of human opinions (I Corinthians 3:18-20).
2. People tend to judge on appearances (I Samuel 16:7; cf. John 7:24).
3. What people think is right isnŐt necessarily so (Proverbs 14:12 and Proverbs 30:12).
B. We cannot trust our own judgment of ourselves either (II Corinthians 1:9).
1. WeŐre to cease from our own wisdom (Proverbs 23:4).
2. Hope is lost in conceit (Proverbs 26:12; cf. Romans 12:16).
3. Our own judgment can cause self-deception (Deuteronomy 29:10-20).
4. Even what we Ňfeel in our heartsÓ can be and is most often WRONG (Proverbs 28:26 and Jeremiah 17:9-10).
5. Remember, God doesnŐt allow our self-image to be what He judges us on (Proverbs 21:2).
C. There is a standard by which we MUST measure ourselves (James 1:21-25).
1. Our steps need to be ordered by God (Psalms 37:23; cf. Proverbs 20:24).
2. His word is sharp enough to expose to you who you really are (Hebrews 4:12).
3. His standard gives us what we need (John 6:63; cf. II Peter 1:3-4).
III. Conclusion: DonŐt allow jus to be the oneŐs who receive honor from men and not from God (John 5:41-44).
© 2012 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager