DonÕt Forget YouÕre Running A Race
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager (http://www.wordsoftruth.net)
A. We are taught of God to press toward the mark for the prize (Philippians 3:8-14).
1. If weÕre going to press [pursue] the prize we have to be diligent [earnest; busy in effort] (II Peter 1:10).
2. We have to secure our faith (I Corinthians 15:58 and I Corinthians 16:13).
B. Endurance is required to win the race weÕre running (Matthew 10:22 and James 1:12).
1. Our focus has to be reaching the end (Hebrews 6:11-12).
2. DonÕt just try to fall into eternal life, lay hold in it (I Timothy 6:12).
II. Body: WeÕre In A Race (I Corinthians 9:24-27).
A. This race may last for decades (Psalms 90:10).
1. There may be times when we wish the race was over, but we have to realize weÕre still in it with a purpose (Philippians 1:20-26).
2. When running the long race we have to use the truth to have the most peaceable run possible (Proverbs 3:1-4) so that we donÕt stumble [which is what the word ÒoffendÓ means in this verse] (Psalms 119:165).
3. Thus, knowing that the race is potentially long; set your pace with a proper focus (II Corinthians 4:8-5:1).
B. DonÕt get tired (Galatians 6:9).
1. Remember all that Jesus faced (Matthew 16:1-4, Mark 8:31, Mark 10:33-34, Luke 22:63, Luke 23:36-38, and Mark 16:14).
2. He didnÕt get tired and quit (Hebrews 12:3).
3. Besides our Savior, our brethren faced much and remained in the race (Acts 5:40-42, Acts 14:19-21, and James 5:10-11).
C. Some try to hinder us in our run (Galatians 5:7).
1. Some will try to bring grief into our lives (Psalms 6:6-7).
2. Some will try to discourage us (Nehemiah 2:17-20).
3. WeÕll see people fail and that will cause us sorrow (Luke 19:41-44, Romans 9:1-3, and Philippians 3:18-19).
4. Some will try to get us running in the wrong direction through false doctrines (Jeremiah 23:32, Acts 20:28-31, and II Peter 2:1-3).
5. Whatever it is, we cannot allow ourselves to get weighed down (Hebrews 12:1-2).
III. Conclusion: Be finishers of the course (II Timothy 4:6-8).
© 2011 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager