Words Of Truth
"That I might make thee know the certainty of the words of truth..." (Proverbs 22:21).
Don’t Be Overdoers, Underdoers, Or Undoers
Outline by Brian A. Yeager
A. We are to be doers of God’s will (James 1:21-27).
1. Hear it and keep it (Luke 11:28).
2. Don’t call Him your Lord otherwise (Luke 6:43-46).
B. We are to be balanced in our keeping of God’s will (I Timothy 5:21).
1. From the beginning of the preaching of the Gospel, whole obedience is what Jesus expected (Matthew 28:18-20).
2. There is no such thing as “buffet style” Christianity (Matthew 7:21-27 and I Thessalonians 4:1-2).
II. Body: There is no room for any of us to go beyond, short, right, left, etc. of God’s will (Deuteronomy 5:32, Galatians 1:8-9, and Revelation 22:18-19).
A. We cannot get overly zealous and think we need to do more than what is right (II Samuel 6:6-7 and Romans 10:1-3).
1. Being overly zealous is wrong (Ecclesiastes 7:16).
a. Saul [Paul; Acts 13:9] zealously persecuted Christians (Acts 22:4-5 and Galatians 1:13), with good intentions (Acts 26:9-12) and a clear conscience (Acts 23:1; cf. Acts 24:16), but was sinning (I Timothy 1:12-16).
b. David, with good intentions, was ready to build, but God had not asked him to (II Samuel 7:1-7).
2. Furthermore, don’t use an overzealous approach in condemning how you think others could “do more” (I Corinthians 12:20-22 and II Corinthians 10:12).
3. God expects of us what we are capable of – nothing more (Matthew 25:14-30 and Luke 12:41-48).
B. Don’t fall short (Hebrews 3:12-4:1).
1. Put your faith to work (James 2:14-26).
2. Don’t become spiritually lazy (Hebrews 6:10-12).
C. What good is it to start off aright and then become undoers (Galatians 3:1-4)?
1. Some just are set in their ways to undo the good that is in progress (Deuteronomy 31:25-30 and Judges 2:10-19).
2. Some impede progress by turning to error (Acts 20:28-31).
3. Another application… Don’t leave anything undone (Joshua 11:15 and Luke 11:42).
4. Another application… Anytime you sin you undo the good you have done (Ezekiel 18:24).
5. Therefore, work hard not to undo the reward you have worked for (II John 1:8).
III. Conclusion: Revelation 22:14
Class and Sermon Outline Index
© 2016 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager