Ask No Questions For Conscience Sake
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. By no means are we going to have a lesson that downplays the seriousness of sin (John 8:34, John 9:31, and I John 3:8-10; cf. Colossians 2:13).
1. When your soul is at stake, know whatŐs right (Acts 17:10-11).
2. Ignorance will not be bliss in front of the Judgment seat of Christ (Acts 17:30-31; cf. I Peter 1:13-16).
B. Do we know what sin is (James 1:14-16 and I John 3:4)?
1. All unrighteousness is sin (I John 5:17; cf. I Corinthians 6:9-11, II Thessalonians 2:10, etc).
2. Knowing to do something and not doing it is sin (James 4:17).
3. However, not all that man says is wrong is actually wrong with God (Mark 7:1-9 and Colossians 2:20-22; cf. Ephesians 2:1-2).
II. Body: In some things, donŐt worry to ask (I Corinthians 10:23-33).
A. There are things that matter to God (Luke 6:46, I Corinthians 11:1, I Peter 2:21, etc.).
1. It matters to God that we obey Him (I John 2:3-6), but He does not intend for that to be burdensome (I John 5:2-3).
2. What our actions or lack thereof do to others (Romans 14:13).
3. Understanding this requires rightly dividing the word (II Timothy 2:14-18).
a. God said not to eat meat offered to idols (Acts 15:29).
b. Yet, you do not find out until later that this command is more for the conscience of others (I Corinthians 8:4-11).
c. Meats donŐt really matter to God (Romans 14:20).
B. There are things that do not matter to God (Romans 14:1-17).
1. Unless our actions affect others (I Corinthians 8:12).
2. Unless we do something against our conscience (Romans 14:23).
3. At the same time, donŐt make laws yourself (Isaiah 5:20 and I Timothy 4:1-5).
C. We live under a law (Galatians 6:2), but it is a law of freedom (James 1:25 and James 2:12).
1. The Law of Moses was one of bondage (Galatians 4:1-9 and Hebrews 9:8-11).
2. LetŐs stand fast in our freedom from such (Galatians 5:1).
2. DonŐt abuse your freedoms (Galatians 5:13).
III. Conclusion: Godly people have the pure mind and approach (Titus 1:15).
© 2013 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager