Discerning Truth Versus Human Tradition (Part 4)
The Church Is Not The Standard
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. Yes, there is only one body (Ephesians 4:1-6).
1. Yes, the body of Christ is the church (Ephesians 1:22-23).
2. Yes, members of churches of Christ (Romans 16:16) make up that church Jesus promised to build (Matthew 16:18).
B. Yes, the church is the pillar and ground of the truth (I Timothy 3:15).
1. Yes, the church is to be reputable for teaching truth (I Thessalonians 1:7-8).
2. Yes, congregations can serve as a good example (I Thessalonians 2:14).
II. Body: NO – The Church Is NOT The Source Of The Truth (Deuteronomy 32:1-6, Psalms 31:5, and John 17:17).
A. The truth is in Jesus (Ephesians 4:21).
1. He is full truth of and by Him truth came (John 1:14-17).
2. He is the way, the TRUTH, and the life (John 14:6).
3. That is not to say that truth is not of the Father (II John 1:4) and Holy Spirit (I John 5:6-7).
B. The truth is learned through the word of God (Psalms 119:142).
1. That does not mean that learning from the word of God will automatically result in learning the truth (II Timothy 3:1-9).
2. Properly learning the truth requires being properly prepared to learn (I Corinthians 3:1-3) and a willingness to accept the truth (Proverbs 15:31-33 and Acts 2:41).
3. If someone isn’t willing to learn, the truth will have no effect on he or she (Psalms 50:16-19 and Mark 7:13).
C. “The word”, “the Gospel”, and “the truth” are synonymous (Colossians 1:5).
1. Left alone, the word of truth is pure (I Peter 1:21-25).
2. Truth can be perverted (Galatians 1:6-9).
3. We’re responsible for not giving into or practicing deception with the Gospel (Acts 20:26-27, II Corinthians 4:1-2, and Hebrews 13:9).
D. The church is only the church IF holding fast (Hebrews 3:1-6).
1. Truth and the church are not always synonymous (Acts 15:1-5, Romans 2:1-29, I Corinthians 1:10-13, I Corinthians 5:1-8, I Corinthians 14:1-40, Galatians 3:1, and Revelation 2:14-16).
2. The word is a constant, unchanging standard (Psalms 119:89 and Matthew 24:35); the church is NOT (Revelation 2:1-5).
3. The church is people (I Corinthians 12:27).
a. People are not to be fully trusted (Jeremiah 17:5-7).
b. People are uncertain (II Corinthians 11:3-4).
c. People are not the standard in matters of faith (I Corinthians 4:1-6 and I John 4:1). *Our next lesson will address some cases wherein man is the standard.
III. Conclusion: Don’t look to the church for the truth (I Thessalonians 2:13).
© 2014 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager