Consider That Most Things In This Life Are Temporary
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. Too often people ignorantly anchor themselves to things of this life (Psalms 49:6-20).
1. The world preaches a message to us all about success – do you really want to listen (I Corinthians 3:18-19)?
2. We are taught to want and go get what we want, but is that ever satisfying (Ecclesiastes 5:10-11 and Ecclesiastes 6:7)?
B. We have to realize how little control we have over life (Ecclesiastes 8:8).
1. Our physical outlook can change in an instant (Luke 12:13-21).
2. The only being that has power over all things, is not you or I (Isaiah 46:10).
II. Body: Setting Our Minds On What Matters (Philippians 3:7-21).
A. No matter what, YOU are not temporary (Ecclesiastes 12:7).
1. Your flesh dies when your spirit departs (James 2:26).
2. At death you go to hades (Luke 16:19-31).
3. At the resurrection, you are going to one of two places (Matthew 25:31-46).
B. Most things, often considered most important, are temporary (II Peter 3:10).
1. Physical life is temporary, therefore donŐt boastfully act as though you control time (James 4:13-16).
2. Physical relationships are temporary (Matthew 22:23-32).
3. All of your worldly accomplishments are temporary (Ecclesiastes 2:18-19).
4. Your house, your money, your investments – TEMPORARY (Matthew 6:19-21 and I Timothy 6:6-10).
C. What should this tell us (I John 2:15-17)?
1. ShouldnŐt our focus change (II Corinthians 4:8-5:1)?
2. When we have to give up something temporary to faithfully serve God, what have we really lost (Mark 13:31)?
a. We all know the cost of Heaven can be high (Luke 14:33).
b. IsnŐt the return more than worth it (Matthew 19:29)?
c. It comes down to how you view the cost vs. the reward (Matthew 13:44).
3. Prepare for death so it is not so scary (Proverbs 14:32).
4. What is worth working for (Hebrews 6:10-12)?
5. Invest in a beneficial relationship (II Thessalonians 2:16) that will last forever (I John 2:24-25 and I John 3:1-2).
III. Conclusion: What do you gain if you exchange your soul for something temporary (Mark 8:31-38)?
© 2016 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager