The Catholic Church Vs. The Truth
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. The church is not the “Catholic church” (Acts 20:28 [cf. Matthew 1:23] and Romans 16:16).
1. The following terms and ideas are NOT in the Bible: Catholic, Catholic Church, Pope, Vatican, Catechism, Nun, Parish, Diocese, Vicar of Christ, Sacraments, and many more “Catholic” terms.
2. If it’s not in the Scriptures or even the idea, don’t follow it or use it (Isaiah 8:20, I Peter 4:11, and Revelation 22:18-19).
B. The church is the pillar and ground of the truth (I Timothy 3:15).
1. That does not mean the church is the SOURCE of the truth (John 1:17, John 14:6, and Colossians 1:5).
2. The church is to be in subjection, not rule (Ephesians 5:23-24).
II. Body: Cannot Follow That Which Begins With Man and Please God At The Same Time (Matthew 15:1-9, Galatians 1:6-12, and Colossians 2:16-23).
A. Catholics make the Pope their standard of authority instead of the Scriptures. Notice: “# 937 The Pope enjoys, by divine institution, supreme, full, immediate, and universal power in the care of souls" (Catechism of the Catholic Church; http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p123a9p4.htm#brief). They also state that the Catholic Church is the authority: “But the Pope goes on to say something that is vitally important. He says that it is not enough merely to believe the truth. We must also accept the way the Church has devised to express that truth exactly” (http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/1993/9307iron.asp).
1. Jesus is the one that has all authority in Heaven and on earth (Matthew 28:18-20, Acts 4:10-12, Ephesians 1:20-23, Colossians 1:12-19, Colossians 2:8-10, and I Peter 3:21-22).
2. It is the word of God, not the Pope or any church, that we are to follow (Deuteronomy 4:2, Proverbs 30:5-6, Matthew 4:4, Luke 11:28, John 6:63, Colossians 3:17, and II Timothy 1:13).
B. The Pope, THEIR “Holy Father” (http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/).
1. You cannot exalt man (Isaiah 2:22, Acts 14:8-18, and I Corinthians 4:6).
2. Only God is to be worshipped (Matthew 4:8-10, Acts 10:25-26, and Revelation 22:8-9).
3. You cannot call any man “Father” in a religious sense (Matthew 23:1-11).
4. How many “Fathers” are there (Ephesians 4:6)?
C. Common Catholic errors:
1. Idolatry (Leviticus 26:1, Deuteronomy 4:16, I Corinthians 10:14, and Galatians 5:19-21).
2. Elevating of Mary [who is no longer a virgin, btw] (Mark 3:31-35).
3. Sainthood… A saint is simply a follower of the Lord (I Corinthians 1:2, Ephesians 1:1, Philippians 1:1, and Colossians 1:2-4).
4. They teach their members that they cannot really understand the Bible (http://archive.catholic.com/thisrock/2007/0701fea5.asp), but that is NOT true (Ephesians 3:4).
5. Transubstantiation [literally blood and body of Christ in Lord’s Supper] is false (Matthew 26:26-29 and Acts 15:28-29).
6. Infant baptism is false for one must be able to reason, believe, repent, etc. prior to baptism (Mark 16:15-16 and Acts 2:37-41).
7. Misunderstanding of who priests are (I Peter 2:5-9 and Revelation 1:5-6).
III. Conclusion: Let’s be ready to give an answer (I Peter 3:15) to help people away from these errors (Ezekiel 33:8-9).
© 2013 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager