Benefits Of Not Being Selfish
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. This lesson is not intended to infer that I am trying to ÒsellÓ why you should not be selfish. Plain and simple, weÕre commanded NOT to be selfish (Romans 15:1-3).
1. How simple is it to realize weÕre to love others as ourselves (James 2:8)?
2. The mindset of service (Mark 10:43-45).
B. Realize that it is possible to seem unselfish to yourself (Proverbs 18:17).
1. DonÕt lie to yourself (Proverbs 30:12-13).
2. Be honest and examine whether or not you have a problem with selfishness (Ezekiel 18:27-28).
II. Body: LetÕs not serve our own benefits (I Corinthians 10:33).
A. Think about how being selfless helps put God above ourselves (II Corinthians 5:14-15).
1. We live unto Him (Romans 14:7-8 and Colossians 3:1-4).
2. His will stands above our own (Psalms 37:23 and Hebrews 13:20-21).
B. Think about how being selfless helps us love others (Galatians 5:13-14).
1. WhatÕs love do for others (Romans 13:9-10)?
2. How much will you sacrifice if you love unselfishly (I John 3:14-18)?
C. In fact, there are many things that are simplified by not being selfishÉ
1. It is easier to want to give to others (Acts 20:35 and Ephesians 4:28) because you wonÕt think of what youÕre missing out on (Philippians 3:7-8).
2. It is easier to do Scripturally qualified Ògood thingsÓ for others (Galatians 6:7-10) because you wonÕt be so busy caring only for yourself (Philippians 2:3-8).
3. It is easier not to be a burden on others (II Corinthians 11:9 and I Thessalonians 2:5-9) because you think of them over yourself (Romans 12:10).
4. It is easier to care about what others are going through (Romans 12:15 and Hebrews 13:3) because your not self-absorbed (I Corinthians 10:24).
5. YouÕll be able to be properly hospitable (I Peter 4:9) and helpful (Acts 11:27-30) to others because you wonÕt be looking for a favor in return (Luke 14:12-14).
D. While it is hard to find unselfish people, they exist among faithful saints (Philippians 2:19-30).
1. We know the world is wicked (I John 5:19).
2. We know among the called there are still only a few faithful (Matthew 22:14).
3. YOU [ME] be the Timothy and Epaphroditus of today (I Peter 4:10).
III. Conclusion: To do these things you have to get over yourself (Matthew 16:24-27).
© 2015 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager