Being A Doer Of The Word
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. Does the word of God teach us that we will be saved just by hearing the word, agreeing with it, and believing it (Luke 11:28)?
1. What good is done by faith without action (James 2:14-26)?
2. IsnŐt talk cheap (Isaiah 29:13 and Romans 2:19-24)?
B. What good is it to talk the talk and not walk the walk (Titus 1:16)?
1. What separates the children of God from those of Satan (I John 3:8-10)?
2. What indicates that you know the Lord (I John 2:3-6)?
II. Body: Doers And Not Hearers Only (James 1:18-27).
A. Be a true hearer (Matthew 7:24-27).
1. Starts with proper preparation to learn (I Peter 2:1-2).
2. Continues with true interest (Psalms 1:1-2, Psalms 119:127, Jeremiah 15:16, and I Timothy 4:15).
3. Concludes with the keeping of those truths heard (Psalms 119:1-3, Matthew 28:18-20, and I Thessalonians 4:1-2).
B. Put the truth into action (Luke 8:19-21 and Romans 2:13).
1. Live by every word of God (Luke 4:4).
a. How can you do that if you don't know it (Jeremiah 4:22)?
b. How can you do that if you donŐt understand it (Ephesians 5:15-17)?
2. Again, there has to be an interest in pleasing the Lord to put the truth into action (John 8:28-32).
C. Continue in the word (John 15:9-10).
1. We are not those who draw back (Hebrews 10:38-39).
2. Keep up the good (Titus 3:8).
D. LetŐs consider (Isaiah 1:2-4) a few things that prevent doing the wordÉ
1. People that donŐt listen to the truth because they donŐt want to listen to the PERSON telling them the truth (Proverbs 10:17, John 7:7, and Galatians 4:16)?
2. How long do you have to Ňthink about itÓ before you do the truth (Psalms 119:59-60)?
3. Some donŐt do the word because theyŐre complacent (Amos 6:1).
4. Some arenŐt doers because theyŐre lazy (Hebrews 6:9-12).
5. Some arenŐt doers because they just donŐt want to be (Jeremiah 13:10).
III. Conclusion: Real obedience will bring the greatest of all blessings (Revelation 22:14).
© 2015 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager