Are You Growing Spiritually?
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. Spiritual growth is commanded by God (II Peter 3:18).
1. This means increasing in knowledge (Colossians 1:10).
2. However, it also includes increasing in the ability to reason and use that knowledge correctly (Hebrews 5:12-14).
3. Allowing the new man to come forth more and more (Colossians 3:10).
B. Growth isn’t a flipped switch, but a process (I Peter 2:1-2).
1. There has to be a clearing of the way before growth (James 1:21).
2. There has to be a lot of devoted effort to grow (I Timothy 4:7-8).
a. Illustrated in the process being likened to farming (I Corinthians 3:5-9).
b. Also illustrated by seeing that spiritual growth occurs by one step leading to another in the process (II Peter 1:1-10).
II. Body: Spiritual Growth Is Visible (I Timothy 4:13-16).
A. Before visible growth occurs, proper thought [i.e. the word “meditate”; to ponder] has to be applied (Psalms 1:1-3 and Psalms 119:15).
1. Think of what God told Joshua (Joshua 1:6-8).
2. True, thorough thought, will lead to real growth (Psalms 119:97-102).
B. Before visible growth occurs, a person needs to wholly give his or herself to the process of growing (Proverbs 4:5-7).
1. Be addicted [set/devoted] (I Corinthians 16:15).
2. The kind of devotion to growing spiritually that sometimes “gets in the way of life” (Psalms 119:148 and Acts 17:10-11).
C. Before visible growth occurs, a mindset of success is necessary (I Corinthians 9:24-27).
1. “I can” rather than “I can’t” (Philippians 4:13).
2. Even if we face challenges, we have to have the mindset not to be weak and quit working on growing (Proverbs 24:10).
3. The word of God is able to build you up (Acts 20:32) if you do your part (II Timothy 2:15).
D. Let your growth be seen by your faithful actions (Philippians 2:14-16).
1. Productivity is expected by God (John 15:1-5).
2. Becoming a pattern to others (Titus 2:7-8).
3. If you’re growing, there will be fruit that proves it (Luke 6:43-46).
III. Conclusion: Think about how serious this question is (Luke 13:6-9)?
© 2015 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager