Words Of Truth
"That I might make thee know the certainty of the words of truth..." (Proverbs 22:21).
And If It Bear Fruit, And If Not
Outline by Brian A. Yeager
A. Faith, without works, is dead (James 2:14-26).
1. We have been spiritually created to do good works (Ephesians 2:4-10).
2. We have to be zealous of good works (Titus 2:11-14).
B. Worship and the collective work of the church is not all there is to being a Christian (Titus 2:2-8).
1. Following Christ means you’ve surrendered all to Him (II Corinthians 5:14-15).
2. We are to live by every word of God (Luke 4:4), that covers many more things than just worship and the work of the church (i.e. Ephesians 4:21-32, Colossians 3:16-4:1, I Timothy 5:8, I Peter 2:9-17, etc.).
II. Body: Luke 13:1-9
A. We each must be able to examine ourselves and make corrections if unfruitful (Lamentations 3:40, Ezekiel 18:27-28, and II Corinthians 13:5).
1. An unfruitful state of being is sinful (Titus 3:14; cf. I John 3:4).
2. Being unfruitful, as such is sinful, keeps us from…
a. Being saved (Romans 6:23).
b. Being in fellowship with God and the faithful (I John 1:3-7).
c. Proper worship (I Corinthians 11:28-32).
3. To get those things back, our examination process needs to lead to the process of true repentance (Proverbs 28:13, Ezekiel 14:6, Luke 3:7-9, Matthew 21:28-32, and Luke 19:1-10).
B. Like a plant, our being fruitful is part of a growth process (II Peter 1:3-10).
1. We must all grow (II Peter 3:18).
2. We can help each other grow (Hebrews 10:22-25).
3. However, you cannot be lazy (Hebrews 6:10-12).
C. As Christians, we are to be fruitful in every good work (Colossians 1:10).
1. We are known by our fruit (Luke 6:43-46).
2. Fruit unto holiness brings the reward (Romans 6:22).
D. If not… cut down (Matthew 25:14-30).
1. The faithful cannot support unfruitful works (Ephesians 5:11).
2. The faithful must take action in cutting down those whom are unfruitful and erring as such (II Thessalonians 3:6 and II Thessalonians 3:14-15).
a. Be cautious not to charge someone as unfruitful just because they don’t meet “your standards” (II Corinthians 10:12).
b. Rather, by properly measuring their abilities to produce fruit, exercise righteous judgment (Luke 12:42-48).
III. Conclusion: John 15:1-8
Class and Sermon Outline Index
© 2017 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager