All Things That Pertain Unto Life And Godliness
Outline By: Brian A. Yeager
A. God says that the way is not in us (Jeremiah 10:23).
1. He tells us not to lean on our own ways (Proverbs 3:5-7).
2. He tells us not to trust our hearts (Proverbs 28:26).
3. He says a good manŐs steps are ordered by Him (Psalms 37:23).
B. The question is, what is the source we need to look to for the information pertaining to life and godliness (Psalms 119:9)?
1. Consider, how are we made clean (John 15:1-3) and saved (James 1:21)?
2. Consider, how are we guided (Psalms 119:105)?
3. Yet, many think we need more than the Scriptures. Some look for direct guidance, different sources of truth, etc. Do we have enough?
II. Body: All ThingsÉ II Peter 1:1-4
A. The things we are going to discuss are things granted through knowledge (Proverbs 2:1-6).
1. Through knowledge is deliverance (Proverbs 11:9).
2. Through knowledge we get strength (Proverbs 24:5).
3. Through knowledge remission of sins (Luke 1:77).
4. Through knowledge we are enriched [richly furnished] (I Corinthians 1:4-6).
5. Through knowledge we are fruitful (Colossians 1:10).
6. Through knowledge we escape the world (II Peter 2:20).
7. The absence of knowledge opposes all goodÉ Hosea 4:1-6, Romans 10:1-3, etc.
B. Pertaining to life (Matthew 7:13-14, John 6:26-27, John 17:3, and I John 5:11-13) and godliness (I Timothy 4:7-8, I Timothy 6:6-11, and II Peter 3:11-12).
1. Everlasting life, through the word (John 5:24).
2. How to live godly, in this world, through the word of His grace (Titus 2:11-14; cf. Acts 20:32).
a. The word governs all areas of our earthly lives (Colossians 3:16-25).
b. The word certainly governs us spiritually (I John 2:3-6).
c. His word is spirit and life (John 6:63).
3. What more do you need (II Timothy 3:14-17)?
C. If you are not finding the answers through GodŐs word, it is because you are looking for more than life and godliness (i.e. Colossians 2:20-23).
1. If the answer isnŐt of God, it isnŐt the answer (Proverbs 19:21 and Proverbs 19:27).
2. IsnŐt salvation enough to long after (Psalms 119:174)?
III. Conclusion: We have what we need and all we should want (Psalms 19:7-11).
© 2015 This material may not be used for sale or other means to have financial gain. Use this as a tool for your own studies if such is helpful! Preachers are welcome to this work, but please do not use my work so that you can be lazy and not do your own studies. – Brian A. Yeager